Various health conditions may lead to white spots, dots or patches on penis, penile shaft, penile head or foreskin. Whether the spots are painful or not, they may call for urgent medical attention. Explore pictures, causes, signs and symptoms of white spots on penis. Also, find out how to get rid of them with medical treatment and home remedies
Signs and Symptoms
The development of strange white spots or patches on penises in men is a private issue but it can look worrisome. Penile spots can be painless but it can really annoy you. The most embarrassing thing is that how can your sex partner think about you when noticing strange white dots on your penis.
It is quite normal for a man to worry about the sudden development of strange white dots on the penis. In most cases, penile spots can be alarming but they are not signs of something serious on your health. White dots on the penis are likely to be harmless although you can show it to your doctor for more advice.
White spots on penis can show up in various forms depending on the causal agent. This spots can be flat, raised bumps, small dots or large patches. The color of the spots on the penis can vary based on your skin tone.
It is important to learn how white spots or patches on the penis can manifest in various signs and symptoms. Here are some of the signs and symptoms of white spots or patches on the penis that include the following:
- Tiny white or yellow flat dots on head and shaft of the penis
- Small pearly bumps around the glans, foreskin and on penile shaft
- Large yellow fluid-filled itchy blisters on glans, foreskin, penile shaft and on scrotum
- Hard white, pink or grey bumps on glans that are not itchy
- Irregular white, pink or yellow flat patches or marks on the foreskin, glans and on the penile
White Spots on Penis Picture
We have inserted descriptive pictures of white spots on penis in various relevant sections of this post. You may use the pictures to get a hint about your health problem. However, you should not use these images for self-diagnosis. Instead, see a qualified doctor to properly diagnose your health problem and administer the appropriate treatment.
Causes of White Spots on Penis
It is understandable for a man to worry and have a concern about the causes of strange white spots or bumps on penis and scrotum sack. Most of the penile spots are not birthmarks and they often show up during adolescent or in the adulthood stage.
Sudden development of strange white marks on penis and scrotum can occur due to various reasons or factors. Some of these causal agents of penile spots are quite harmless and they may not interfere with the functioning of your penis.
However, you shouldn’t ignore any strange white spots or patches on your penis. It might be a sign of more serious health condition that calls for medical treatment. Never feel ashamed to present your penis problem to a doctor for diagnosis and treatment of white spots.
Here are some of the possible factors that can cause white spots, dots, marks or patches on the penis that include the following:
1. Pearly penile papules
Pearly papules on the penis are also called hirsutoid papillomas. These are small raised bumps like pimples on the head of the penis. They typically appear on groove part of the glans of the penis. These bumps can take the color of your glans.
This condition is common in uncircumcised men. Under the rare condition, it can also show up in circumcised men. These bumps are skin colored but they can attain white color when fluid like substances are entrapped on this bumps that give it pearly appearance.
The main causes of pearly papules on glans are not clearly known but they are linked to poor hygiene and hereditary factors. These white spots on penis are quite harmless and they neither correlated to any of sexually transmitted infection or signs of cancer.
2. Fordyce spots
Fordyce spots are painless small raised bumps that can show up on the penile shaft, glans, foreskin, and on the scrotum. These bumps can appear as pink, yellow, brown or white in color depending on your skin tone. These bumps are harmless but they have a scared look.
Fordyce granules can show up when a lot of sebum accumulates on sebaceous glands on the skin. These bumps are not sexually transmitted but they can occur naturally on genital parts due to cholesterol disorders on the skin. They usually go away by time.
This is a skin condition characterized by painful bumps on hair root. It can occur when hair root is infected by bacteria. The condition is common since the genital parts are covered by pubic hairs hence it increases the risk of folliculitis.
The infection of bacteria on hair root can lead to small pimples filled with pus on penile shaft, foreskin, and scrotum. Folliculitis is not an STD and it can develop after using the inappropriate procedure to shave the pubic hairs. These bumps can clear away its self and no need to go for treatment.
4. Yeast infection in men
Candidiasis in the male is also called penile thrush. This is a fungal attack that can affect the genital parts in male to develop white itchy patches. Yeast infection can affect foreskin, glans, and skin of penile shaft and also on scrotum sack.
The growth of fungus in the male can be encouraged by poor genital hygiene and too moist environment under the foreskin. Furthermore, the foreskin in the uncircumcised men is the predisposing factor for survival of male candidiasis infection.
Apart from white spots on penis, male candidiasis may lead to an itchy rash that develops into white dots on the affected parts. Sometimes it can result in the discharge of white pus from meatus of the penis. The most annoying thing is that it can lead to severe pain during sexual intercourse.
5. Cysts on penis
Similar to other body parts, the penis can also develop an ingrown hair cyst. These cysts can result in the formation of painful pale yellow, pink, red or white bumps on penile shaft, foreskin, and scrotum. These bumps can increase in size with time into large bumps on penis.
6. Septic spots
White spots on penis might be the consequence of Septic spots. These are tiny pimples filled with pus that can develop on the skin. These bumps can develop due to the accumulation of harmful bacteria on the skin. Septic pimples can show up on the penile shaft, glans and on the testicle skin.
Septic spots on the skin are highly contagious and you should not pop these bumps because it can spread to other parts of the skin.it is advisable to seek the help of the doctor who can help to manage the condition.
7. Molluscum contagiosum
This is a viral infection characterized by small pimples like bumps on the foreskin. The tiny bumps on the foreskin of the penis may harbor pus which gives it a white appearance. This condition may easily confuse you with another type of white spots on penis and it is advisable to consult your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
8. Human papillomavirus (HPV)
This is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that leads to genital warts. The genital warts are associated with hard white bumps on entire penis and on the scrotum. These pumps not only affect genital parts but also can show up around the anal area.
Human papillomavirus can increase the risk for cancer. In case these bumps persist on your genital parts, it is important to seek the help of your doctor for treatment.
9. Genital Herpes
Genital herpes is a viral disease caused by herpes simplex virus type 2. This is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) or disease (STD). The infection can cause the sudden development of small blister on genital parts that finally advance into open ulcers.
The most unfortunate thing about this condition is that it does not go away completely and the outbreak of itchy bumps on the penis can keep on coming.
10. Pubic lice
Pubic lice are also called crabs. The parasitic insect thrives well in oily dirty pubic hair. They can damage the skin of the penis to develop white scarring. Pubic lice can easily spread from one person to another through sharing of cloth or during sexual contact.
11. Lichen planus
Lichen planus is a skin condition that can show up on any parts of the body including the penis. The itchy rash dries up to for white scarring that can refuse to fade away.
This is a sexually transmitted infection (STI) that has a consequence of various types of bumps on genital parts. Syphilis can manifest as red, pink or white bumps on penis. It can also for white ulceration on glans and foreskin of the penis.
Similar to other parts of the body, the skin of the penis can develop white scars that develop from injuries. The skin of the penis can develop injuries during sexual intercourse, a bruise or any other physical damage.
This is hard white bumps that can appear on the penile shaft after sexual intercourse or masturbation. The condition occurs when lymph tubes in your penis are damaged or even blocked. Lymphocele can go away after few days.
15. Cancer of the penis
This is a chronic condition that can lead to white hard bumps that can bleed easily. The bumps can show up on glans, penile shaft and on the scrotum. Cancer of the penis is a serious health condition that needs special medical treatment from a specialized doctor.
White Spots on Penile Shaft
What are these white spots on the penile shaft? White spots or patches on the penile shaft in the male are a common problem. The spots can appear on sides, along with the base, around or anywhere on the penile shaft.
White marks on the penile shaft can range from tiny pinpoint size dot to large prominent bumps or patches depending on the causal agent. Also, they might be hard cysts or fluid-filled blister that can easily burst to leave open sores.
The development of pimples like whiteheads on penile shaft might be a sign of a benign condition that should not keep you in worries. It could be penile cysts that can develop from ingrown hairs on the skin of the penis.
Lymphocele bumps are another common harmless white spots that can show up on your penile shaft after sexual intercourse or masturbation. Lymphocele on penile shaft is not an STD. Do not always think that any white bump on penile shaft is a sign of a sexually transmitted disease (STD).
However, white marks or patches on the penile shaft can occur due to any of the causal agent that causes white spots on penis that are already been discussed in this post. In case the white spots or patches are alarming on your penile shaft, seek the help of your doctor.
White Spots on Penile Head
The common cause of white spots on the head of the penis is pearly penile papules. These are small and smooth bumps that show up on around the glans. These bumps may scare you but they are very harmless and they don’t require treatment.
Apart from pearly penile papules, other factors can as well lead to white spots on the penile head. These factors include the following:
- Yeast infection: male candidiasis is a common yeast or fungal infection that can lead to white patches on glans.
- Human papillomavirus: this virus causes genital warts that are white or pink bumps on the head of the penis.
- Fordyce spots: this is yellow or white pimples that can show up on glans.
- Syphilis: this is an STD that can lead to white blisters or ulcers the head of the penis.
- Lichen planus: it can lead to an itchy rash of penile head that finally develops into white scarring.
White Spots on Scrotum
Apart from white spots on penis, the scrotum is a genital part that can also be affected by white spots and patches. White spots on testicles may not harm you but they can just cause embarrassment in your life and annoys you.
White marks on scrotum can show up in various forms. They can appear as raised bumps or pimples, hard cysts or granules under the skin or in a form of painful blister that can easily burst. Occasionally, these spots can also appear as flat patches.
The common causes of white spots on scrotum include:
- Folliculitis: this is an inflammation of hair follicles due to bacterial or fungal infection. The normally appear after shaving pubic hair.
- Ingrown hair cysts: curling of the hair under the skin or growing of hair in sideways direction can lead to white bumps on the skin of testicle.
- Pimples: sebaceous cysts can also develop on the scrotum sack that can appear like whiteheads.
- Fordyce spots: these are small yellow, pink, red or white bumps the can develop on the scrotum.
- Jock itch: this is a fungal infection of groin area that also affects the skin of scrotum to develop white dots.
- STD’s: genital warts, syphilis, and HIV are example of std that can cause white marks on testicles
White Spots on Foreskin
The foreskin is the most susceptible parts of the penis that can easily develop white spots or patches. This is because the foreskin can trap and accumulate penile fluids that provide a suitable moist environment for the growth of harmful pathogens.
White spots on foreskin can develop due to any of the factors that cause white spots on penis. Some of these causal agents are already been discussed in this post. However, the common causes of white spots on foreskin include yeast infection, genital warts, syphilis, lichen planus, Fordyce spots and penile cysts.
Sometimes, white spots on penis are very harmless but you have no reason to live with embarrassing spots on your penis. You can use various home remedies to get rid of these embarrassing white marks on your penis. Try the following:
- Baking soda
You can use baking soda as a home remedy for white spots on your penis. The reagent has the antibacterial and antifungal property that can help to clear away various spots on your skin. Baking soda can also help to dry up sores or ulcers on the skin.
How to use:
- Mix one teaspoon of the baking soda powder with few drops of water to create a paste
- Clean the affected area with warm water and dry it off with a towel
- Apply the paste on the affected parts of the penis with white spots
- Allow it to dry before rinsing it off with cold water
- Repeat this treatment at least twice per day for few weeks
- Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a good home remedy you can use to get rid of white spots on penis and on the scrotum. Apple cider vinegar has antibacterial and antifungal ability that can help treat white marks on genital parts.
How to use:
- Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with one teaspoon of water
- Clean your penis with warm water and dry it off with a washcloth
- Apply the diluted solution of apple cider vinegar on the affected area
- Repeat this procedure three times per day until white spots on your penis go away
- Olive oil
Olive oil contains vitamins and antioxidants that can help in the healing of various skin problems including white spots on penis. The oil can also soothe itch spots on penis.
How to use:
- Clean your entire body with warm water
- Use your hand hands to apply the oil on affect parts
- Allow it to stay on your skin for several hours before rinsing it off
- Repeat the treatment once per day for few weeks.
- Honey and lemon juice
A mixture of lemon juice and raw honey is an excellent home remedy that you can use to treat white spots on your penis. The citric acid in lemon juice has antimicrobial property while natural honey has the antifungal, antibacterial and antioxidant property that can help in the healing of the white marks on the penis.
How to use:
- Mix two teaspoon of raw honey with one teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Clean your penis with warm water and dry it off
- Apply the mixture on the affected parts
- Rinse it after30 minutes
- Repeat this procedure two times per day until white spots and patches on your penis go away
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is the best home remedy that you can use to get rid of white spots on your penis and scrotum. Aloe Vera has the antifungal and antibacterial property that can help to heal spots on your skin.
How to use:
- Clean the affected area with warm water and dry it off using a washcloth
- Apply the Aloe Vera gel, cream or juice on the affected parts of your penis
- allow it to stay on your skin for more than 2 hours before rinsing it
- repeat this treatment twice per day
Medical treatment is another alternative you can go for by visiting your doctor. Your doctor may decide the appropriate diagnosis plan and treatment method to use. Here are some of the common methods that your doctor might use to treat white spots on your penis which include:
- Prescription of medicinal creams and lotion formulated to treat white spots on the skin.
- Laser treatment that uses a beam of an electron to get rid of white spots on penis.
- Surgical excision that uses sharp tools like a scalpel to remove bumps and penile cysts.
When to See a Doctor
It is advisable to see your doctor when you notice the following condition on your penis
- When white spots on your penis are associated with strange discharge from the meatus of the penis
- When white marks on penis produces bad smell
- If the spots on penis have refused to go away with a period of three weeks
- If the white bumps on penis can bleed easily if something touches
- When white dots are itchy and they make you feel a discomfort
Sources and References
[showhide type=”links” more_text=”Show Sources and References” less_text=”Hide Sources and References”]
- White spots, dots, and patches on penis: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/conditions/sexual-health/a12010/spots-on-the-penis/
- Signs and symptoms of white marks on penis: https://www.stdcheck.com/std-symptoms-penis-bumps.php
- Causes of white spots and patches on the penis: https://www.healthline.com/health/pearly-penile-papules#overview1
- White spots on penile shaft: https://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/879.aspx?categoryid=61&subcategoryid=616
- White spots on penile head: https://www.stdtestexpress.com/blog/what-are-these-small-white-bumps-around-the-head-of-my-penis/
- White spots on foreskin: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ask-the-expert/sexual-health/a11975/small-white-blotches-on-the-top-of-the-foreskin/
- White bumps on scrotum: https://www.enkiverywell.com/white-spots-on-testicles.html
- How to get rid of white spots, dots or patches on penis: http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/conditions/sexual-health/a12010/spots-on-the-penis/
- Treatment of white spots, bumps or patches on penis: https://www.healthline.com/health/pearly-penile-papules#treatment4
- Home remedies for white spots, dots or patches on penis: http://get-a-wingman.com/how-to-safely-remove-pearly-penile-papules-at-home/ [/showhide]