Different health conditions may lead to black spots or patches on lip, upper or lower. Irrespective of whether they are painful or painless, some of the conditions might require quick medical attention. However, others may be due to natural hyperpigmentation and hence harmless. Explore pictures, causes, signs and symptoms of black spots or patches on lip. Also, learn how to get rid of them with medical treatment and home remedies
Signs and Symptoms
Dark spots on lips are one of health and beauty problem that can really bother you. Black spots or patches on either lower or upper lip can cause your lips to look less attractive. This can make you feel embarrassed to your friends and peers hence this may lower your self-esteem.
Other than lowering your self-esteem, this spots can also hurt you and cause difficulties in eating, speaking smiling, and kissing. Occasionally, black spots on lips may not cause any pain but they can threaten your beauty.
It is important to know the possible signs and symptoms of a black spot on lip. This can help you be conversant with the health condition of your lips. Here are some of the signs and symptoms of a black spots or patches on lips that include the following:
- Single or many dark dots on vermilion zone of upper or lower lip
- Dark spot like blackhead on edge of the lips
- Dry, scaly or cracked itchy lips
- Raised black spots like bumps on corners of the lips
- Fluid-filled blister on vermilion zone of lower or upper lip
- Irregular black patches on surface groove of either lower or upper lip that are either itchy or not itchy
- Tiny black, pink or brown itchy lesion on vermilion zone of either lower or upper lip
- Black dot or patches on the inner side of the lips
The signs and symptoms of black spots on lips may vary depending on the causal agents. For instance, some spots on lips may appear large and more serious in some individuals. Others may appear very tiny or small and sometimes less visible.
Black Spot on Lip Pictures
What is the visual appearance of dark spots on lips? We have inserted illustrative pictures of black spots on lips in various parts of this post to show you how these spots look like. You may use the picture (images) to get a clue about the health condition of your lips. Nevertheless, do not use these pictures for your self-diagnosis without the help of your doctor.
Causes of Black Spots on lip
Black spots or patches on lips can appear due to various factors or reason. It is significant for you to be conversant with possible factors that can lead to dark spots on lips. This can help you to prevent and escape problems of dark spots on your lips.
The possible causes of black spots or patches on lips include the following:
1. Allergic reaction
Dark spots on your lip can appear as an effect of allergic reaction. Exposure of your lips to the strange substance can lead to a condition known as pigmented contact cheilitis. This condition is characterized by black dots on the affected area of the skin.
The common allergens that can cause an allergic reaction to develop dark marks on lips include lipstick or lip balm, hair dye, nickel, green tea, detergents or any other skin irritants. Expired skin care products can also induce allergic reaction on your lips.
Angiokeratoma is a painless cutaneous spot that can occur on the skin surface of the lip. This spots can vary in size, shape, and color depending on your skin condition. These spots are usually dark red or brown in color.
These spots can appear alarming like cancerous growth but they are totally harmless and they cannot result in the health-threatening condition. However, you should see your doctor give you appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
A black spot on lip can occur as a consequence of sun damage. Sunlight has harmful UV rays that can damage the skin tissue. Long exposure of the skin to direct sunlight can lead to acute or chronic damage to the skin.
Actinic keratosis, age spots or sunspots are a common skin problem that can develop due to the effect of harmful UV rays from the sun. These spots can appear on face, ears, scalp, on hands, and also on the lips.
4. Excess iron
The intake of too much iron into the body system can result in the formation of dark dots on the surface of the skin. The main risk factor that can encourage too much iron in the body is by eating a lot of iron supplements into your body.
Hereditary hemochromatosis is a known iron disorder in the body can lead to absorption of excess iron from the food you consume and stores it into your body organs. This condition is normally associated with black dots on lips, face, neck or any other part of the body.
5. Vitamin B-12 deficiency
One of the common sign that shows the deficiency of vitamin B-12 is the formation of dark spots on the skin. These spots can also appear on the vermilion zone of the lips. Vitamin B-12 helps the skin to maintain its normal color.
This condition can be restored to normal by eating food rich in vitamin B complex or you can take vitamin B supplements in your diet.
6. Change of body hormones
Change of body hormones can stimulate melanocytes to produces excess melanin on the skin. Hypothyroidism is a condition that can occur due to the low level of thyroid hormone can lead to a skin condition called Melasma. This condition is associated with dark marks on the skin.
The change of body hormones can happen during pregnancy and menstruation period in women. It can also occur during puberty, menopause stage and at the time of using birth control pills. Blackheads and dark spots on skin can show up in women as a consequence of a sudden change of body hormones.
7. Smoking and alcohol abuse
Smoking and chewing tobacco can lead to the formation of dark spots on lips. Also, the heat from the burning cigarettes can damage the skin of the lips to develop dark scarring. Harmful nicotine and tar from tobacco product can increase the risk for you to get any type of cancer in your body.
Abuse of alcohol is another factor that can lead to dark dots or patches on lower lips. Some alcoholic drinks can burn or corrode the skin of the lips to develop dark scars.
8. Certain medication
If you notice a black spot on lip after the use of certain medication, it might be a side effect of that medicinal drug. Common medicinal drugs that can lead to dark dots on the skin include antipsychotics, antimalarial, anticonvulsants, cytotoxic and Amiodarone.
9. Body dehydration
The dehydration of the body can lead to chapped lips that can easily develop dark dots. Dry weather and inadequate intake of water can increase the risk of developing a dry flaky skin on the lips that can crack, peel and form dark scarring.
Hyperpigmentation is a condition that can occur when melanocytes are stimulated to produces excess melanin on some part of the skin to cause dark spots. This spots can appear on various parts of the body that include cheeks, forehead, on the chin, upper lip, and lower lip.
Melanoma is the type of cancer that is associated with dark spots on the skin. Lip cancer is a chronic oral condition that can lead to hard bumps that can bleed easily and may refuse to go away. In case you notice the strange dark growth of chronic bumps on your lips, it is advisable to see your doctor for a diagnosis and treatment.
Syphilis, HIV, genital herpes, and oral herpes are common sexually transmitted diseases that can lead to fluid-filled blisters on lips. Oral herpes is also known as cold sores or fever blisters that are caused by herpes simplex virus type 1. Cold sores are painful blisters that can appear on lips that can burst, crust and heal to leave dark scarring on the affected area of the lips.
13. Injuries to lip
Sometimes you may bite your lips during the process of biting food. This can lead to dark blood blisters inside the lip that show up as a black spot on lip. Also, chewing dry foodstuff like popcorns can lead to bruises of lips that can develop into dark dots or marks.
Unfit dentures can also lead to lip injuries. Loose dentures are likely to cause mouth injuries. When you are buying dentures, select the one that fit your gums properly.
Black Spot on Inside of Lip
Dark spot inside the lip may appear in different forms. This spots can manifest as flat dots or raised spots like bumps. A bump inside the lip might be a blood blister that looks like a dark purple spot on the lip. This dark spot may occur on either lower or upper lip and sometimes both lips can be affected.
There are various reasons that might lead to the formation of dark spots inside your lips. These spots can appear due to oral injuries, use of tobacco products, deficiency of nutrients, hyperpigmentation, hormone change, allergic reaction and any other causes.
Black spots inside of the lip can also occur due to a serious oral condition such as lip cancer. It is quite useful for you to see a doctor in case you notice strange dark dots on your lip. you doctor can help to give the appropriate diagnosis and treatment for such dark dots on your lip.
Dark Purple Spot on Lip
Dark purple spots on the lip are a common condition that can show up in elderly people. These spots might look alarming to cause fear to you but they might be a quite harmless skin condition that occurs due to long exposure to direct sunlight.
These dark purple marks are also known as the venous lakes of the lips. These spots may also appear on other areas of the body such as on the neck region and on ears. These conditions can occur as a consequence of venules dilation on skin surface when you are exposed to harmful UV rays from the sun.
The condition is common to people with more than 50 years. However, young individuals can also be affected by the bluish-purple dots on lips when they are exposed to direct sunlight. This lesions on the lips can advance into chronic melanoma that is associated with lip cancer.
If you noticed the occurrence of a dark purple bump or a black spot on lip, it is advisable to visit your doctor to give appropriate diagnosis and treatment.
Black Spot on Lip That Won’t Go Away
Does your lip have a chronic black spot that has refused to go away? The formation of black dots on the lip that won’t go away easily can occur due to various reasons. Sometimes, permanent black marks on vermilion zone might be a harmless hyperpigmentation of the skin that cannot hurt you or threaten your health condition.
However, chronic dark dots and hard bumps on lips might be a sign of a serious mouth condition such as cancer. Cancer of the lip is a rare type of oral cancer that may occur due to exposure of your skin to carcinogenic substances.
The common carcinogenic substances that increase the risk of getting oral cancer include the following factors:
- Exposure to harmful UV rays from the sun or artificial lamps that produce harmful radiation that can damage the normal growth of the cell into cancerous condition.
- Human papillomavirus can also lead to squamous cell carcinoma. This virus can be transmitted through oral sex.
- Intake of heavy metal into the body system such as lead and nickel can increase the risk to develop chronic melanoma on the skin surface.
A chronic black spot on lip that has refused to heal can be diagnosed by a specialized doctor for appropriate treatment. Earlier detection of cancer in your body can be treated by appropriate cancer therapy.
Dark Skin on Upper Lip Looks Like Mustache
Melasma on the upper lip is a common skin condition that can show up in both men and women. A single tiny black spot on lip may not cause great concern and attention. However, skin hyperpigmentation with dark spots on upper lips that look like mustache can bring worries, especially in women.
Dark dots on upper lip in women that look like a mustache or facial hairs can cause embarrassment and even lower your self-esteem. This is because mustache or facial hair is known to be a characteristic of men. However dark skin on upper lips may look similar to the young growth of mustache but they are not facial hair.
The dark shadow on the upper lip is a common skin condition that can occur due to sun damage, change of body hormones during pregnancy and menstruation period. Men can also develop a dark skin on upper lip although it may not be noticed easily.
If your lip has dark dots or patches, try the following home remedies:
- Lemon juice and honey
You can use a mixture of lemon juice and raw honey as a home remedy to get rid of dark spots on lips. Lemon juice contains citric acid that has properties that can help to bleach a black spot on lip. Raw honey is a natural moisturizer that can help to keep your lips moist.
How to use:
- Mix one teaspoon of lemon juice with two teaspoons of raw honey
- Apply the mixture directly to the affected lip
- Allow it to stay on your skin for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water
- Repeat this treatment twice per day
- Potato juice
Raw potato juice contains natural enzymes such as catecholase that can help in lightening dark marks on the skin of the lips.
How to use:
- Get one potato tuber
- Use sharp knife to cut the tuber into slices
- Use the slices to rub gently on the affected area of the lip with dark dots
- Allow the potato juice to stay on your lips for about 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water
- Repeat this procedure two times per day for few weeks until dark spots on lips go away
- Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a good home remedy that can help to remove a black spot on lip. The oil has the ability to moisten the skin and can prevent your lips from becoming dry and scaly. It also has the healing property that can help to soothe itchy skin on the lips.
How to use:
- Clean the skin of the lips with warm water and dry it off with washcloth
- Apply the oil to the affected part of the lips with dark spots
- Repeat the treatment three times per day
Beetroot juice has the ability to heal and restore the bright color of the lips. It can also help to keep the skin of the lips moistens.
How to use:
- Extract fresh juice from beetroot
- Apply the juice directly on dark dots on your lip
- Allow it to stay on your skin for about 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water
- Repeat the treatment two times per day for few weeks until your lips improve
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is an effective natural skin lightening herb that you can use as a home remedy to get rid of black spot on lip. It can also help in the healing of blackheads on skin without the formation of black scaring.
How to use:
- Clean the affected skin of the lips with warm water and dry it off with a washcloth
- Apply Aloe Vera cream, juice or gel on the affected parts of the lip with dark spots or patches
- Allow it to stay on your skin for more than 30 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water
- Repeat this treatment two times per day for few weeks until black spots on lips go away
Medical treatment is another alternative you can go for when black spots on your lips are likely to be a serious health condition. In case you notice any strange dark bumps or spots on the surface or inside of the lip it is advisable to seek the help of your doctor.
After visiting your doctor, he/she will decide the appropriate diagnosis and treatment plan to use that can help you to get rid of dark marks on the lips. Some of the treatment methods that your doctor might use include the following:
- Surgical procedures that can help to remove dark spots and bumps from the skin of the lips.
- Prescription of skin lightening creams that are formulated to exfoliate dark spots on the skin.
- Laser treatment that uses a beam of strong light to remove uppermost layer of the skin that has dark dots.
- Cancer therapy treatment that includes chemotherapy and radiotherapy that can help in the treatment of cancerous condition on that may lead to the formation of a black spot on lip.
When to See a Doctor
You can see you doctor over a black spot on lip when you notice the following conditions that include:
- When black spots on your lip persist for more than 3 weeks without a noticeable improvement
- When dark spots on your lip cause difficulties in eating, speaking and smiling
- If the dark marks are spreading to other parts of the face and skin to cause beauty problem
- If the black spots has a characteristic of hard bumps that can bleed easily when something touches
- When dark spots on lips accompany other strange symptoms on your body
Sources and References
[showhide type=”links” more_text=”Show Sources and References” less_text=”Hide Sources and References”]
- Black spots on lip: https://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/black-spots-on-lips#certain-medications9
- Signs and symptoms of black spots on lips: https://mddk.com/black-spots-on-lips.html
- Causes of dark spots on lip: http://www.md-health.com/Black-Spots-On-Lips.html
- Black spots inside of the lip: https://www.skinsight.com/skin-conditions/adult/oral-melanotic-macule
- Dark purple spots on lips: http://www.simple-remedies.com/home-remedies/discoloration-of-teeth-and-lip-color/purple-spots-on-lips.html
- Black spots on the lip that won’t go away: http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/lip-cancer-not-uncommon
- Dark skin on upper lip looks like mustache: https://beauty.onehowto.com/article/how-to-get-rid-of-a-female-mustache-or-upper-lip-shadow-5-methods-1632.html
- Treatment of dark spots on lips: https://www.wikihow.com/Lighten-Dark-Upper-Lips
- Remedies for dark spots on your lips: https://www.rewardme.in/beauty/skin-body/article/3-home-remedies-to-lighten-dark-upper-lip
- Home remedies for black spots or patches on lips: https://www.healthcareatoz.com/5-top-home-remedies-for-dark-upper-lip-shadow/ [/showhide]